In this post ( LED Colour by Potentiometer ), I’ll describe how to change the color of an anode RGB LED with a potentiometer. I’ll be using an Arduino UNO, and components from this RadioShack components kit. The motivation for this post was to have an LED change color in response to the reading from a thermistor next to my stove, but when I read about how I’d first need to calibrate the thermistor with some kind of thermometer, my motivation scurried under the sofa like a terrier in a thunderstorm. As a compromise I substituted the thermistor with a trim-pot, reasoning that a variable resistance was a variable resistance.
Components Used For LED Colour by Potentiometer :
- 1 x Arduino Uno ( You can use other boards also )
- 10 x Jumper Wires M-M
- 1 x RGB LED
- 3 x 10k resistor
- 1 x Breadboard
- 1 x Potentiometer
Through this project, we can learn how input of potentiometer can control output at digital pins
- This is a basic program to check Board is working with any sensor (Potentiometer).
- You have two types of RGB Led
- Cathod as common
- Anode as common
Min Required – 20 mins
- Take Breadboard
- Take RGB LED it will have one big leg (+) which is a positive and other 3 legs which is Negative. (this RGB as common anode based, and if the small leg is there which is negative it is RGB as the common cathode).
- Press that all legs and remember which one is a big one ( You can even bend big leg so it’s easy to identify for further reference.
- Now take 2 M-M jumper wires and potentiometer.
- Fix them to the connected line with RGB LED and potentiometer on breadboard ( To understand more about Breadboard connection click here )
- Now Jumper wire connected to the Bigger leg which is positive will go to Arduino pin and Small legs which are Negative goes to the GND ( 3 GND is available in Arduino UNO).
- Check once again and connect resistors LED to avoid any short circuit.
- Connect Arduino to your Laptop/PC by USB Cable. ( we use A to B USB cable for Arduino which is also used in printers )
- Open Arduino IDE ( You can download it from here or you can use online platform Arduino Web editor )
- Go to File > Examples > Basic > controlling LED color using potentiometer.
- Check program, save it and then upload it.
- You can change potentiometer Value and see changes in LED colour.